downtimeSo the last few weeks have been a rollercoaster for beefycode.com.  I apologize if the downtime has affected your powershelling or log4netting or whatever.  I’m hoping the troubles are behind me…

So here’s what happened.  Late last year I updated the backend of beefycode to the most recent version of blogengine.net which required me to update my hosting situation to a server that supports ASP.NET 4.  Apparently I was the last person on earth to do this and received a rude awakening as my new shared server seemed to be VERY shared.  Accessibility of this blog became and issue so I wanted to move it to another shared host I was using that seemed much more reliable.  So I did that.

Things were fine for a few weeks, and then my host suspended my account for “CPU abuse”.  Apparently blogengine.net was spiking the CPU usage to as high as 99%, so they had no choice.  The logs showed nothing unusual, and I was unable to replicate the scenario locally so was a bit blind as to what tactic to take, but I tried a few things.  It didn’t help as the host suspended my account again and refused to reactivate it unless I upgraded to a VPS.  I was miffed – I couldn’t event access FTP with my account suspended and had no choice but to move the blog to another host so I could get my other sites back online.  But I understand their stance – they gave me several chances to address the issue and I failed to do so, so they did what they did to protect their other customers.

Thankfully OrcsWeb provides complimentary hosting accounts for MVPs, so now beefycode.com is hosted there.  I poured a few days into porting the blog to Orchard; unfortunately this time was wasted.  The hosting account limits the virtual memory for the application pool to 600MB, recycling the application pool when it exceeds this value.  I personally thing 600MB is plenty; however, I can’t host the default Orchard site without it spiking this on each and every page view.  That’s right – one application pool recycle per page view.  It was completely unusable - sluggish and nonresponsive.  So I’m back to blogengine.net.  Hopefully updating to a more recent (and less customized) theme will tamper the CPU use, otherwise I may be looking into a VPS after all…